Monday, July 18, 2011

Moo-nlight Half Re-Cap

For this race, there was also a 5k and 10k that all started at the same time. We just needed to follow the signs telling which way to go. Because of this, it was pretty crowded for the mile or so.

I was feeling pretty good for the first few miles. I took a GU about mile 4 1/2 (like I normally do). That's when things went down hill. About mile 6, I start feeling pretty crappy in the stomach area. It felt like if I didn't walk here and there, chucks would come flying out. The half marathon was a double course of the 10k. This pretty much bored me to death.

At one of the aid stations, I accidentally grabbed some Gatorade, which made my stomach feel even weaker. The volunteer announced that they had water, so I grabbed it and it was actually the lemon flavor of Gatorade. Bad move for my stomach.

When my stomach could handle the hard movements of running, I would run (which was majorly of the race), but I would walk when needed. It was a very beautiful course, even though I saw it twice. There were a few tunnels and my Garmin would tell me that we were at 11 when the mile markers would say mile 12. I was very confused, especially when the tunnels weren't very long. I crossed the finish line a very happy woman. I was satisfied with my time (official time 2:19:31) and disappointed that I had to walk. But, I did what I needed to do.

My medal is very cool. The yellow part glows in the dark. They were also handing out glow sticks at some of the aid stations.

I got in line to get some food, and I ate an orange slice, a watermelon slice and tried a part of a bagel, but couldn't do it. Since I didn't know what was going on with my stomach, I did decide to participate in good beer for really cheap beer garden. That was another bad choice. I only took a few sips, and relax with Jason while I sat down and relaxed (don't worry, I walked around for a while before hand).

On the way home, I was feeling pretty bad. On a bridge, my stomach decided to let go of everything. Luckily, we had a bag in the car, not so luckily, it leaked through. As soon as we got off that bridge, we pulled over and did what I needed to do. I felt better for a while and when I got home, I took a shower and got changed. That's when I started feeling bad again. Two days later and my stomach is still messed up. I have came to the conclusion that I have food poisoning. I think I got it from the GU and I hope I get better soon.

I looked up the results yesterday, and they announced that the course was only 12.2 miles, not 13.1, very, very disappointing!

How did you race this weekend?


  1. Erck! Good time despite the feelings!!!! and you look great too!!
    I hear you, something about this weekend, i ran 13 on my own yesterday after noon, it was so hot I think i drank TOO much water.. and couldnt keep it down :O... We rock either way, end of story :)

  2. Oh no, I'm so sorry about the tummy troubles! Way to hang in there and finish.

  3. Bleh, stomach issues are the worst.
    Also, Short courses really bother me. I mean, it isn't THAT hard to plot out a course that is the advertised distance. If it is a 12 mi race, don't call it a half marathon!

    I've never barfed in a car before. Not sure what I would do because we NEVER have bags or anything. I can't think that the results would be very pretty.

  4. Sorry you had a rough time with your half. I couldn't imagine trying to finish with stomach problems. Way to push through! I'm glad you walked when you need to...I did too and it's the best decision for your body.