Saturday, August 7, 2010

Free Food Saturday

I got up this morning and got ready for my spin class. Before I left, I had a banana. I love those so much. I like it when they're just barely green. I hate it when they start to have some brown spots.

When I got to the gym, I found that we had a sub for today's class. It was an instructor I was taking when I first started spin. Her personality didn't really mesh with mine, so I stopped taking her class. Oh well, I still got a little sweat on today. It wasn't like what I'm use to on Saturday mornings. I was still a zombie walking out of class.

When I got back, I opened the windows and enjoyed the nice breeze that was making it's way into our house while I ate my banana nut muffin (from last week) and my zucchini bread (I tried a new recipe) and a cup of coffee. The bread only called for 2 tablespoons of sugar. So, it was pretty bland. My husband ended up dipping into pure sugar (so weird). It was a nice afternoon outside.

This afternoon, Jason had a work party at a bowling alley. We got a free lunch there. I had too much bad food (but it tasted so good). I had a really good hamburger and 2 pieces of really bad pepperoni pizza with a bad bread stick (that I didn't even finish). I splurged with a root beer soda.

We played 2 games of bowling. Jason won the first and I won the second. I wish we had more time to play (and my fore arm didn't hurt so much), we would have played a tie breaker. These shoes aren't the ones I'm use to wearing. I think I look really cute in them!

When we got home, we had my mom over for a visit. She just back from visiting my brothers in Seattle. We hadn't seen her in a while and I wanted to hear about her trip. Jason made his famous salsa. It was spicier than the one I had at work on Friday. It was so good. We used the same tomatoes my co-worker did. It's the best with home grown tomatoes.

We ended the night with a Mojito. I love mint and rum muddled together! I'm a light weight, Because I haven't been drinking much during training. It was so good!

We had a Whole Foods trip today, which I will talk more about tomorrow. I got some goodies!!!
Jason’s Roasted Tomato Salsa
* 4 medium, red ripe tomatoes
* 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
* 3 green onions, chopped into 1/4” pieces
* 1 jalapeƱo, de-seeded and chopped very small
* ½ cup fresh cilantro, stem removed, chopped
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 tablespoon lime juice
* 1 teaspoon sea salt
* ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
* ¼ cup ice water (approximately)
Clean and cut tomatoes into wedges of 6 per tomato. Then place the wedges onto a hot oiled frying pan tomato skin down. Use a pair of tongs to ensure that each tomato wedge is getting blistered. Once each wedge is blistered (brownish yellow with some black), remove the tomatoes from heat and place them on a cutting board to cool.
Mix all of the above ingredients (with the exception of the tomatoes and the ice water) in a mixing bowel and mix vigorously with a whisk until it is a consistent throughout.
Once the tomatoes are cool enough to touch, remove the skins and de-seed each wedge. Then chop each tomato into 1/4 inch pieces. They do not have to be exact, for the tomatoes at this point will be pretty slippery and irregular in size. Add the chopped tomatoes to the mixing bowel containing the other ingredients and slowly stir in the ice water until the salsa reaches the right consistency. Stirring too fast will break down the tomatoes too much, and we want the salsa to be chunky. And the amount of ice water to add depends on how much water is in the tomatoes, so it will always very a little.
Once stirred, try a sample of the salsa and add any ingredients you think the salsa is lacking, salt, pepper, garlic, etc. Then place plastic wrap over the bowel and place the bowel in the refrigerator. Let the salsa cool for at least one to two hours before serving.
What's your favorite thing to buy at Whole Foods?

1 comment:

  1. I know that I am a runner because.... when I saw your bowling shoes, I said to myself "whoa, track spikes with velcro??"