Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Glorious 9 Miles!!

Last night (and tonight), we had left over chili. So good. It's so easy to make, too. I got the recipe from Sandra Lee (Food Network). Here's what I did:
Browned 1 lb. of ground turkey, added 5 different kinds of beans (I used kidney, black, garbanzo, white and pinto), added 2 cans of diced tomatoes and 2 pkgs of chili seasoning mixture. Stir together and let simmer for about 5-10 minutes. I topped it with some shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. YUM!!


Doesn't this look like a great night?


At the gym, I had 9 miles on the schedule. If you read last night's post, you know that I was nervous. I brought RW to work (to read at lunch) and had my plan all set. It really calms my nerves when I read RW. I see that other people run so much further, so I know that I can run a short distance (long to me) like 9 miles.

My plan was to take a GU at 4 1/2 miles into it. I did. The first half went by so quickly. Also, at 4 1/2 miles, I re-started to tm because it stops at 100 minutes. I also filled my water bottle. I bring 2 water bottles with me. One bottle is a running bottle and the other is an ordinary bottle (just huge). I fill both before getting on the tm and just use the running bottle, because it's so much easier to run and drink water at the same time without spilling all over myself (yes, I know from experience).

On the second half, the first 2 miles went by, just a little slower. I felt like I needed another GU (the first flavor was orange vanilla). I was having the most difficult time trying to open the package. My hands were so sweating, I couldn't do it (I even tried with my teeth). I passed. The very last mile was very slow. It felt like my legs were made of steel and were bolted to the ground. Since I was on the tm, my paced hadn't slowed, I had upped the pace. Stupid me, I forgot to look at the time, for either half. I'm guessing I finished the 9 glorious miles about 100-103 minutes. I'm glad I'm stopped the tm half way through!

I'm sitting here with my compression socks on and about to grab some warm chili while I ice my knees. Until tomorrow...

7 comments:

  1. congrats on the 9 miler! carbs and runners world sounds pretty perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job on the 9*miler!!! Do you have a race lined up, soon? You thnk taking the GU at 4.5 helped? I am up to 7 miles and not taking anything but I feel like I need to. . . I might try it tonight and see how I feel. I think I might only take 1/2 of one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on 9 miles on the treadmill!

    That chili looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on the 9! man i'm awful with gu, I rarely take in anything unless I'm over 16 miles...hence why I'm so slow maybe?!

    i love chili and wanted to make some this week, but David didn't think he wanted any...BOO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I have used "bad" water bottles on the TM and spilled all over the place. So I know how it is. Congrats on the distance PR!

    ReplyDelete