Saturday, July 3, 2010

Yummy Chicken!

The finished meal all prepared with wine and ready to be eaten. This was a great meal. Recipe at the bottom.








I love my rice cooker. It's one of the best presents my brother bought me. To the left, the veggies are ready to bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.



The chicken baked in the oven for 40 minutes with a little extra sauce. To the left, the veggies are washed and ready to be sliced.


We are on a tight budget right now and needed something fairly inexpensive, but tasty. I chose the Kraft honey roasted garlic BBQ sauce. I was surprised of how good this tasted. It wasn't over powered by the garlic taste, it was very suttle. I will definitely purchase this next time I BBQ. I marinated the chicken in the zip lock bag for a couple of hours in the BBQ sauce. It really had time to soak in.


This morning I got up bright and early for my 9am spin class. The class was full of excitement and a lot of energy. I can't believe how quickly the 50 minutes fly by! When I returned home, I refueled with some coffee and a splash of non-fat vanilla coffee creamer. I also had a small piece of some apple cake that I made the night before. My husband, Jason, and I went to Whole Foods to taste test their "Foods of Fourth of July". Too bad it wasn't going on. I think I must have messed up the time or something.
For lunch, we had left over pizza from the little neighborhood pizzeria near by, Riverside Pizza. It was pretty good pizza, and the customer service was very good. I never felt rushed when trying to decide what we wanted. It felt like we were the only ones there. Jason ordered a combination pizza and I ordered the standard pepperoni pizza. They were both really tasty. The combination pizza used fresh ingredients, and the pepperoni tasted very fresh. I'm glad we live so close to this pizza place. Yummy pizza!
As dinner time rolled around (8pm for us), we started to get hungry. I made barbecue chicken with steamed brown rice and fresh veggies. The veggies I chose were a green and red pepper with three squash. We washed everything down with a glass of Chateau St. Michelle white wine. This is one of my favorite wines.
I topped the night off with a banana while we watched the movie Whip It from Netflix. Very cute movie!
Recipe:
5 chicken breast (boneless/skinless)
1 1/2 cups your favorite BBQ sauce
1 cup brown rice
3 squash
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
olive oil, salt & pepper to taste
Directions:
Place chicken in zip lock bag with BBQ sauce for about 2 hours. Afterwards, preheat oven to 350. Place chicken in 9X13 pan with tin foil on bottom with cooking spray (makes for easy clean up). If desire, spread a little BBQ on top of chicken, for extra taste. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, place 1 cup brown rice with water in rice cooker. Cook until rice is softened, about 25 minutes. Chop veggies into bite size pieces. Please on large cookie sheet and mix well with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss with hands. Place in oven with chicken 15 minutes before chicken is complete. Once plated, you can add a little BBQ sauce for dipping the chicken, if you desire. Very easy meal to prepare. Hope you enjoy! I hope everyone has a great Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment