Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Ten

Well, after a lot of time off of blogging, I am back! The break was nice and much needed. I'm in the middle of my half marathon training, but over the holidays, I didn't get a single long run in. I was weak and caved to the temptation of lazily lying around on the couch while I stuffed my face. I did manage to make  date runs with my friend (I think it was just because I had someone counting on me, which always helps).

Since all of the activities are over and I'm getting back to a normal schedule, I feel so much better about myself and have stopped eating so much crap (a little crap is ok, in my books). The cookies are gone, the fudge bowl is empty and only nasty candy is left (which will take some desperate times for me to eat), and I'm back to the gym. Last night, I did my first long run of the year (I know, very sad when I'm in the middle of my training). Well, I successfully completed my 10 miler. 


I was so determined to start and finish it. I was starting to feel ugly (it's a girl thing) and really needed this run. I had been having a headache all day long and it hurt to even walk too fast. I beat the pain and challenged it (and took breaks when needed) and finished the tough 10 miles with a smile on my face. 10.5 miles is on the schedule for next week (but I have other workouts in between)!

I am trying something new out. I want to try to fuel with some stuff I have in my pantry (to use up some old things) and see what works for me. Right now, I'm using graham crackers. They're working great. I don't need that much. For example, I had ~1 1/4 crackers on my 10 mile run last  night. My stomach did great and it fueled me as I needed it to!

I have been taking care of my nutrient needs lately and have been eating a lot of these:


I've also been finding healthy versions of some of my favorite meals, like Sloppy Joes. Veggies and beans, yes please! I ended up going back for seconds. 


Tonight, I have legs weights and 60 minutes in yoga (hopefully my headache doesn't come back because downward dog wouldn't be fun), then tomorrow, I have a 5k and a 60 minute spin class. Finally, Saturday I have my run date with a friend. I'm really looking forward to this week. I'm feel like I'm myself again!




Do you fuel with anything from your pantry, or the standard GU and things like that? Have you ever taken time off in the middle of training (for a race)?


1 comment:

  1. Used to stick mostly with GUs, chomps, etc., but ultra running (and really ultra runners) have opened my eyes to fueling with all kinds of different (and thankfully much cheaper) options. Pretzels, PB-and-honey sandwiches, Ritz Bitz PB crackers, graham crackers, etc. Turns out my stomach can handle a lot more variety running that I thought it could.

    ReplyDelete