Friday, June 22, 2012

A Little This & That & Running in 20 Degrees Cooler!!!

I checked the weather before I left work yesterday. I really didn't want to run in the heat for the 3rd day in a row (I went to the gym Monday). I would have gone anyways, just didn't have my heart into it. 

When the weather popped up on my screen, I let out a little scream. When  I left, it was only 78 degrees. That's a 20 degrees drop! I was so happy!! I think my time really shows it. It's about a 4 minute time difference. 





I am realizing that out of shape for a 5k. I'm in shape for a half marathon. For the people that are not aware, during a half marathon, you need to pace yourself in order to not hit a wall too early in the race. You want to finish, but not leave anything in the tank. For a 5k, since it's such a short race, you really need to push yourself the entire race. There's no slowing down, no easing into it. Once you start, you should keep going faster. 

Now I know where I am truly starting and I am happy with that time, I just have a lot of work to do. I need to take about 4 minutes off this time. I can do it, not easily, but it will get done!! Can you tell I'm looking forward to it (even in the heat and wind)?



If you look close, you can see my hair flying away. So, I did have some nice wind pushing me forward. This was such a nice change from yesterdays run. I love these days. There was once a time when I thought running in 80 degrees was torture. Not any more! I'll run in 80 degrees any day!!

I received some good comments on yesterday's and Wednesday's posts, and it really made me feel loved. It is so encouraging when you have a good group of friends around to keep you motivated. I love knowing that I'm not doing this alone! Thank you guys so much for reading and keep commenting. There are days when I really need those kind of comments and it really does help!! Love you all!! Enough mushing stuff...

Here are some random things:





Did you know: "Prior to 1908, the Marathon distance was 24.85 miles, the exact distance Phidippides ran during battle from Marathon to Athens. For the 1908 Olympics, the King of England changed that distance to 26.2 miles. Runners would start the race in front of Windsor Castle and finish at White City stadium, 385 yards where eventually added to stage a grand finish in front of Kind Edward VII's royal box. The 2012 London Olympics marks the homecoming of this Royal switcheroo, one that forever cemented the marathon distance at 26.2."(source)



"The statistics on sanity are that 1 out every 4 Americans is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your 3 best friends. If they're ok, then it's you." ~Rita Mae Brown (source)




Everyday I will keep posting my Garmin timed runs (5k) times. Do you wear your GPS often? If so, do you have a problem with always looking at it while you're running?



















1 comment: